Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Because owls are wise.

I'm a beginner; that much is obvious. And when you begin, you must begin at the beginning. With cross stitch that means pretty simple designs.

I've been scouring the internets for free charts, and there are plenty. (One of the best sites I've found for free patterns is Alita Designs.) But most of them are too advanced for me, and the ones that aren't, uh, kind of suck. Of course, I'm kind of picky. There are also plenty of kits to buy, but most of them fall into the category of "advanced to expert", which I certainly ain't. Maybe one day, but not now. After spending most of Sunday looking for a pattern big enough to sink my teeth into but small enough and simple enough for me to handle (while also being kind of awesome), I decided that I should probably just design my own. So I did!

It looks like this.



He will be orange and yellow and brown with highlights of blue! He makes me happy. I don't have a name for him yet; he's currently just Owl. Maybe as he comes to life his name will reveal itself to me; that happens sometimes. Currently though, he looks like this.



You could say I have a ways to go. But that's alright with me. I'm finding the stitching very therapeutic and stress-relieving, which is awesome because I have a lot of stress in my life right now.

Yay for Owl!

Onward we stitch.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me want to take up cross stitching!
    I like the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owl likes you too.

    If you really want to take up cross stitching, scroll down and watch the instructional video! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your owl is super cute!
    Can't wait to see it when you're done.

    ReplyDelete